Smithfield Cemetery began as a church grave yard to the oldest organized
church in the City of Pittsburgh—the first German Evangelical Protestant
Church—which was founded in Pittsburgh in 1782 by German Lutheran and Reformed
At that time, the village of Pittsburgh consisted of about
35 houses, mostly log cabins.
In the mid- 19th century, these early cemeteries were
seriously threatened by urban burial problems.
There also was a growing criticism that many of these spaces were
offensive, unsightly, and unhealthy...
Many were moved to the outer limits of the city.
In 1860, the downtown Smithfield Street Cemetery was closed
and removed to Troy Hill...
and businesses and residential buildings were
constructed on the old site. Encountering a similar fate at its new location,
the cemetery was again moved.
In 1886, a 26-acre site was purchased in Squirrel
and removals began with the subsequent closing of Smithfield’s Troy Hill
cemetery in 1888.
Door of crypt...
Mother and Father Hook...
There are several Reverands
of the German Evangelical Protestant Church buried here.