Arlington was built by Judge William S. Mudd, one of the ten founders of Birmingham. Built between 1845 and 1850 in the Greek Revival style, Arlington predates the founding of Birmingham in 1871. It is the city's only remaining antebellum home.
The large, eight-room, two-story white frame house is adorned with six Doric box columns and four center-end chimneys. A long piazza across the front protects the central entry, which includes a doorway based on a design by renowned architect Asher Benjamin as well as a paneled entrance with sidelights and full entablatures.