St. Philip's has two graveyards...one that surrounds the church on Church Street. The West Cemetery is located across the street. The church was established in 1680 and it the oldest congregational south of Virgina.
A winged angel with the inscription, "Sacred to the Memory of..."
"Doomed to know not Winter, only Spring a being
trod the flowery April blithely for awhile.
Took his fill of life, joy of thought and seeing,
Came and stayed and went, nor ever ceased to smile.
Ah that life contains of torture, toil and treason.
Shame, dishonour, death to him but were a name,
Here he dwelt through all the singing season
And ere the day of sorrow departed as he came."
It depicts the ghost of Susan Howard Hardy...watch this video.